Nguyen Huong Giang is a counsel based in YKVN’s Hanoi office and a specialist in M&A and projects and infrastructure with main focus on government contracts, EPC and regulatory issues.
Giang regularly advises project developers, lenders, contractors, etc. in manufacturing, infrastructure and energy projects.
Giang has extensive experience in transactions in a wide range of industries, including power (including renewable energy), banking and financial services, manufacturing, education, and insurance.
Giang’s clients include, among others, Marubeni, GE Vietnam, Bangkok Bank, Mainstream, ORIX and UOB Venture Management, ExxonMobil, BHP Billiton, Talanx, and ANZ, etc and her representative projects include Vung Ang II BOT Power Project, Nghi Son Refinery Project, Vinh Tan III BOT Power Project, Duong River Surface Water Plant, and a number of other renewable energy projects.
Prior to joining YKVN, she practiced law with Allens Linklaters.
The University of Melbourne, Faculty of Law (LLM) (2009)
VNU University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Faculty of Law (LLB)
The University of Foreign Languages, Hanoi (Bachelor of Arts) (1996)
Hanoi Bar Association
Projects and Infrastructure
- Advised a Thai bank on financing of 2 solar power projects with the total capacity of 60MW, financing of 3 solar power projects with the total capacity of 550MW and financing of a two-phased 60MW wind power project;
- Advised an international investment group on the due diligence of the project company and sponsors of the largest waste-to-energy project in Hanoi, Vietnam for the purpose of financing;
- Advised a financial institution on financing of two wind power projects with the total capacity of 57.2 MW;
- Advised a financial institution on financing of a 13MW waste-to-energy project in the north of Vietnam;
- Advised a US investor on various regulatory issues and contracts (including turbine supply and installation and maintenance) and its acquisition of a local company operating wind power projects in Vietnam;
- Advised a Vietnamese group company on the EPC contract on a 40.6MW solar power project in the south of Vietnam;
- Advised the Vietnam subsidiary of a large Thai group company on the EPC contract on a 30MW wind power project in the south of Vietnam;
- Advised a Belgium investor on Vietnamese aspects of the EPC contract on a large offshore wind power project in the south of Vietnam;
- Advised a financial services group and investment bank on a joint US$50m equity investment in Bitexco Power, the owner and operator of a portfolio of hydropower projects across Vietnam;
- Advised a US$ 9 billion foreign invested project on various aspects of its development, including construction, government support and project financing;
- Advised two BOT power projects (of 1,200 MW and 1,980 MW) on government contracting issues, drafting and negotiating project documents, advising on various Vietnamese law aspects of project finance and regulatory issues;
- Advised the Vietnam subsidiary of a large US company on drafting the EPC contract for a new campus in District 9, HCMC;
- Advised a surface water plant on drafting and negotiating the equipment procurement, installation and construction contract, drafting the design contract, construction contract, the pipeline procurement and installation contract, and the pipeline installation supervision contract;
- Advised a Cambodian joint venture of Cambodian and Thai investors on drafting the EPC contract for a waste heat recovery power generation unit in Cambodia;
- Reviewing equipment supply contracts for a new (cement) feed mill project in Cambodia;
- Advised a large Thai company on the EPC contract for a new grinding plant;
- Advised a refinery (being the first refinery in Vietnam) on procurement of RFCC catalysts;
- Advised an English investor on the sale of its interest in the Phu My 3 BOT power company;
- Advised a large US company on various issues in the development of the ~150 bcm Ca Voi Xanh gas field and the investment in gas to power project including upstream, midstream and potentially downstream;
- Advised a large Japanese investor on the legal framework in Vietnam for BOT/PPP projects and risks involved, providing comments on the legal structure that the investor contemplated for the implementation of the JICA funded Trung Luong – My Thuan Expressway Project;
- Advised a US multinational corporation on the sale of its interest in Block B offshore Vietnam;
- Advised the operator of Block B – advising on bidding regulations and the operator’s internal procurement regulations;
- Advised a large Middle-East company on the establishment and regulatory approvals of major infrastructure projects in Vietnam; and
- Advised a foreign bank branch on its US$ 80 million syndicated loan to a cement factory in Vietnam.
- Advised an Australian multinational public company on establishment of a representative office and its alumina refinery project in Vietnam;
- Advised a foreign bank on acquisition of VIBank;
- Advised a large State-owned insurance company on its equitization, including on the sale of shares to a foreign strategic investor;
- Advised a German multinational company on acquisition of shares in PetroVietnam Insurance Company;
- Advised a Hong Kong investment holding company on establishment of a US$4.8 million garment factory in Vietnam;
- Advised a finance lease company on issues relating to operating leases;
- Advised multiple group companies on various commercial and regulatory issues; and
- Advised the Vietnam subsidiary of a UK based insurance broker on various policy wording.